Monday, August 8, 2011

Back in the saddle, or at least the barn

Michael, Travis, and Alan working on Sally's buggy
Everybody got home from the NDSC Convention yesterday before 5:00, and I'm sure the house bedrooms were filled last evening with Ranchers chatting with themselves, putting their rooms in order (or their version thereof), and planning their week.

Jerry and I collapsed on the couch after supper and watched a favorite movie, This House of Brede.  He worked out this morning but I didn't, fairly sure my stint in the barn this morning would serve the same purpose.

I was right.  We feed the horses at 8:00 because it keeps them happy, and by the time I got through I was wringing wet.  At 9:00 I went up and got my crew--Travis, Michael, and Alan--and set them to work.  Travis cleaned up manure, Alan swept the barn and cleaned the stalls, and Michael helped me rearrange and clean up the hay area.  We extracted a 100 foot industrial extension cord and found the fence tool.  I was happy!

Sally's cart needed a good cleaning, so we got a start on that.  I have to buy a wire brush, leather polish, metal cleaner, and wood wax to get it in shape.  Tomorrow we'll start giving all the tack a good cleaning.

It's been a while since I worked with a team, and I'm more impressed than ever by how well our guys do, caring for this place we all love.

No comments:

Post a Comment