Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I woke up at 2:45 this morning and bundled up to take Jenny downstairs and outside to potty.  Jenny is a four-month-old King Charles Spaniel pup that Jerry brought into my life ten days ago.  If she does not steal your heart, you simply must not have one.

As I waited for Jenny to find the perfect spot to do her business, I looked up at the sky and the moon was astounding, rimmed by clouds, outshining even the urban lights of Austin.

"Wow!" I said out loud, and remembered I'd just heard a review of a book written on prayer, presumably for people unfamiliar with the traditional views on the subject.  It's called Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers, by Anne Lamott. 

I realized I'd just uttered a prayer of praise, stunned by God's handiwork shining through the firmament.

I was not up at 2:45 just to take the dog out.  She can wait longer than that. 

I'm starting chemo today, and had to get up to take some pre-medication before reporting to the clinic.  A little over a month ago, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  Never expected that. 

Help!

It's like a guillotine blade coming down on your life.  One day it's this way, and you're doing these things, and the next day everything has shifted, like a kaleidoscope that took a really big twist.  Normal life recedes swiftly into the past, as we day by day map out our new life.

But then things stabilize a bit and you begin picking up the threads.  Sunday we had a board meeting.  I didn't know if I could make it through the whole thing, but I did, and it felt really, really good.  For one thing, it is a huge comfort to know the Ranch is in the hands of such talented, invested people.  For another, it was great to realize my brain really is still capable of tracking complex discussions and taking notes.  My greatest mental activity for a month has been watching episodes of Restaurant Stakeout.

Our Thanksgiving week was amazing.  All the daughters and families gathered for a four-day moveable feast. We laughed and ate and watched football on tv.  I marvel at the love flowing between all these incredible people.

Thanks!

Four daughters, three sons-in-law and one son-outlaw, five grandkids, one grandson-in-law, and the Pumpkinhead, one-year-old Adam, our first great-grandchild, who provided the major entertainment for the festivities.  My cup runneth over.

Wow!
 










No comments:

Post a Comment